Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Work and vacations

I took a week off from work last week. It was good. I did some yard work and saw a couple of movies. I didn't go anywhere, did some yard work, and put down fertilizer. I have a great big patch of mulch in the front yard, the remnants of a "chia tree stump" that was removed earlier in the month. I put down some grass seed, it has a long way to go before it resumes it's part of my front lawn.
While I was on vacation, I also rediscovered the joy of using my Discover card again. They had been reminding me for some time that I wasn't using it but they're nowhere as bad as Capital One. After I paid that one off and took it out of my wallet, they mailed me friendly notes almost every week reminding me to put it back into my wallet. I haven't done so yet and they gave up on the reminders. I like getting the cash back from Discover. I am trying to be more fiscally prudent these days. When I get around to paying off the house mortgage early, I can blog on that.
I also wanted to comment on shopping at Wal Mart. It's my favorite place to go. Like every other consumer in the U.S. I like saving money. It's also interesting noting all the signs they put up bragging that they lowered the price again on such and such items. If you notice, that's a bit deceiving. I see where they raise the prices on other items to ensure they stay in the black. In fact, I was there twice yesterday helping my clients grocery shop. I firmly believe that they raised the price of Pringles from $1 to $1.50 in only two hours. I know that they at least raised that sometime over the last two weeks. That's a 50% increase. That's how they lower other prices, why don't they put up a sign saying they increased the Pringles? Oh well, I still enjoy the ambience there.

No comments:

Post a Comment