Saturday, January 9, 2010

Accident

I finally got into a car accident. I was driving a large van at work and went into a McDonald's parking lot with a client. I was going to go through the drive thru but there were several cars in front of me. I didn't want to wait in line so I erroneously decided to back up a few feet and pull into a parking spot. The van is very big, I looked behind me and didn't see anybody. I started backing up and hear a honk and then the smacking noise of my car hitting the other guy. I pulled forward and parked. The other guy got out and he was pretty p.o.ed. I looked at the damage to his car. There was a small dent at the top of the hood, I didn't see any damage to the bumper, the plate was still intact, no damage to his headlights. I don't think I saw any damage to the bumper or back of the van. As per agency policy, I pulled out the paperwork to fill out and was supposed to call the police. The other guy said they wouldn't come out because the accident happened on private property. I should have called them anyway but found out later he was correct. The other guy wanted me to call the insurance company and I wasn't supposed to do that and he stayed irate. I then called financial services and got some guidance and the other guy talked to the person I would be sending the report to. I know I backed into the other guy, I didn't see him, he acted like I totalled his front hood. I got the information I needed and then went in and got some food to go for the client. When I came out, he was inside his car talking on the cell phone. I wonder if he was doing that when I backed up. I'll find out Monday about any repercussions. I know it could have been worse, it could have been a pedestrian. I don't like driving that van, it's so big. I made an error in judgement. Even worse, he called financial services several times after he left and said that his hood kept coming open while he was driving down the road. I don't know if that could happen, I hope he wasn't telling lies for whatever reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment